It’s been two days since Halloween and I find myself unable to stop reaching for my family’s loot! A chocolate bar here, a piece of licorice there, I pop a Tootsie Pop more than once a day. How can I undo the damage?!
Dr. Sarah’s Answer Here
You have discovered the evil side of Halloween. As you noted, these tempting bonbons are small enough that your growing habit almost goes unnoticed, that is until you start noticing it on your hips, buttocks and thighs (or with a belly ache, the jitters or an inability to sleep at night!). Halloween candy packs approximately 80 calories a package, and sadly we are never satisfied with just one piece, particularly when there is a bucket load staring us in the face.
Here are 5 easy ways to burn off 80 calories in 20 minutes or less:
1. Take a walk: a moderate pace will burn 80 calories in approximately 20 minutes.
2. Take a hike: walk up and down a hill and you’ll burn off your 80 calorie treat in 15 minutes.
3. Move and loose it: a moderate paced jog will burn approximately 80 calories in 10 minutes.
4. Spin it off: 10 minutes of cycling at 10-12 mph will burn up to 80 calories.
5. Pound the pavement: running at 5 mph will burn upwards of 80 calories in 10 minutes.
And here’s a thought, why not just toss your Halloween candy in the garbage? There is nothing in a chocolate bar, Tootsie Pop or roll of Rockets that is good for you. Did you know that sugar suppresses the immune system? And that too much sugar leads to fatigue, raised insulin levels and weight gain.
Sarah Brown is a very healthy woman. She is not only a fitness instructor at Goodlife where she teaches Body Pump, Body Flow and yoga but she is also a registered holistic nutritionist.